Thursday, January 10, 2013

Month 1, Day 10

Ten days into the new year.  How are things going with my various challenges?



1.  Pantry challenge.  i'm 10 for 10 so far, and doing pretty well.  i cleaned out the pantry and was left with quite a bit to work with, which was good.  I'm not cooking as much as I'd hoped, but I'm making do.  Having some lunches in the freezer already is very helpful.   I went out to lunch last Friday, but my friend paid.  Since I didn't spend any money, I'm counting it as OK, but we talked about it at lunch and its definitely NOT going to become a habit.

I have to make a grocery run tomorrow for perishables.  no fruit, no veg, no soymilk ... no fun!  and since i want healthier eating to be a natural result of this, allowing the purchase of fruit and veg and planning meals to use them is how it should be.  living on spaghetti and ramen and instant mashed potatoes for the rest of the month is just not a good idea.

the next thing to do is re-establish the freezer inventories.  one for the kitchen freezer (lunches and stuff) and one for what's in the big freezer (meals and overflow).  easier to cook and plan when i know what i've got.  squirreling away freezer recipes on pinterest to try out for future freezer-meal cooking. 

2.  Body Practice.  big fat ZERO on this one.  too many excuses.  too much sitting on my butt in front of this computer.  i knew this one would be a struggle.  However, last night i did put myself to be at 9:00.  after too many days of crawling into bed at midnight, i was at the breaking point.  the result was me getting up ON TIME and getting to work ON TIME, and overall feeling a teensy bit more human.  yay?

3.  Decluttering.  not doing so hot with this one either.  spent a couple hours on the pantry, but that's just about it.  see above re: excuses.  stupid "all or nothing" mindset.  honestly.  will try again this weekend, hopefully with a better attitude and approach.  maybe 15 minute (or even 5 minute!) sprints would work better?  make it seem less like i have to change the world, and more like i'm taking baby steps.  

4.  financial challenge.  on paper, i've got grand plans.  in practice, i've got a smaller paycheck thanks to the change in payroll taxes (social security, i think) and some unpaid medical bills.  i tweaked my cell phone plan so it's costing me less, and other than groceries, there isn't really any where else for me to cut.  any savings from not eating out is being gobbled up by all the stuff i let slide in December so i could do Christmas.  

so, overall, not perfect, but not totally off the wagon.  I will get myself to the Y.  I will fill up that box by my front door and get it outta here. I will continue to enjoy packing my lunch and finding new ways to make do with what i've got.  i will get my financial shit together.

How are your new years goals coming along? 

No comments:

Post a Comment